Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dresden Plate Mug Rug

 
Dresden Mug Rug
 I have been in temporary accommodation with my work place for five months, while a much needed upgrade of the building was attended to. Not only did the building upgrade occur, but a freshen up with new paint and carpet happened as well.  Woo Hoo --it was so needed.  There was a small amount of money remaining in the budget - this was quickly spent on  new office furniture
.
I am back into my work place, not yet fully unpacked, as a little hiccup on the home front occurred that same week.

 The middle 5BN sustained a hard knock at footy, being as stoic as he is - I bandaged the wrist for several days, administered pain relief, and decided it was only a sprain! We jointly decided the injury could be managed by Mum, rather than clog up the queue at A&E with a seemingly little injury.

Lesson learnt - or so I thought- from the previous trip to A&E, only months ago -- where we waited for an indeterminable amount of time to have steri strips and glue applied to this injury-  a clonk with a hockey stick to the nose.


After no improvements re the sore wrist-- were noted into the following week -- maybe it was time we arranged an X-ray,   Yep!!-- a clean total break in his radius -- the long bone in the arm,  As the Orthopaedic Surgeon laughed --no bandage was going to aid the healing of that bone in correct alignment.
No Mother of the Year award will be going to me--that's for sure!!
Large milkshake --calcium needed for the healing process!

Pristine cast.

Back to thinking about the revamped work environment, I decided I needed to sew a Mug Rug to ensure my new desk stays clean.  I auditioned some bright fabrics below.

Careful pinning of some jelly roll strips, as well as other fabrics.
Miss 5BN ably assisted and chose some fabrics in all the colours of the rainbow.  ROYGBIV
ROYGBIV!
 The Dresdens were quick to sew together, I followed the tutorial on Anorina's blog, and had this started, quilted and bound while the Sunday evening roast was in the oven.  Yum Yum




I pinned the Dresdens, and using my recently found invisible thread, I stitched them onto the background, I then quilted the background with a straight stitch, outlining the peaks of the Dresdens.
Using a jelly roll strip of Vintage Modern, I was able to piece the half circle, and bind the Mug Rug.
Cheers!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment