Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hexie Mug Rug

 
I bought the above pattern by designer Helen Stubbings at the recent Stitching in Spring workshop in Warracknabeal. The pre-cut applique papers were included in the kit.
Old habits die hard, I automatically basted the hexies with thread --completely forgetting that I quite easily could have ironed the applique papers to the fabric, and used a glue stick along the edges to baste the fabric to the paper.
Basting threads removed.
The applique paper is made up with 50% soluble and 50% non soluble fibres. The papers can be left in the work, and will be partly dissolved after washing. Leaving the papers in, gives stability to the sewing.
After taking out the basting threads, I decided to leave the papers in, I used a dot of  basting glue prior to ironing the hexies onto the background fabric.
Ironed in place
Fabrics are a mix of Denyse Schmidt, Vintage Modern by Camille Roskelley,
 the spots and stars - a range from Spotlight.
I used a clear monofilament thread to sew the hexies onto the fabric, and used the same thread to quilt about the hexie shape, lines spaced a 1/4 inch apart, and also in the middle hexie as well.

 A fragrant birthday candle together with the Mug Rug were soon wrapped and gifted to the Birthday girl.


Happy Birthday Mrs Zippy Zippy!
A piece of fabric used in the Mug Rug was also favoured by Mrs Zippy Zippy.  By chance, all items were matching for the birthday girl. Brooch and bag were also made and modeled by Mrs Zippy Zippy.

3 comments:

  1. Oops... You photos have vanished. This happened to me and I has to re-install Blogpress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what has happened, up and showing them all at present.
      thanks, I hope they have returned to stay!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely surprise to see myself on your bloggy :-)
    Thanks for the mug rug, I love it!

    ReplyDelete